Social media’s most favourite push-up variation is also one of the most challenging to execute. Superman push-up is just the variation you need to take the standard push-up exercise to new levels of intensity. You begin from the ground with your legs in an extended position, which is roughly the most difficult place to start because as it requires dramatic activation of the abdominal muscles and chest to rise.
Doing this exercise properly, you have got bulging triceps, powerful chest and abs of steel. You can also pump out multiple reps of standard push-ups with ease. You are so fit that you can’t envision a variation of the push-up that could be your kryptonite.
Similar Exercises to Try
Benefits of the Superman Push-Up
- Superman Push-ups are one of the most relied upon exercises to build strength in the upper chest region.
- They are such an efficient ab exercise because they force you to contract all of your abdominal muscles powerfully.
- They build your core power and strengthen your lower back incredibly.
- This exercise will improve your posture and burn the extra fat from your body.
- Similar to regular push-up exercise, it also increases your body’s production of human growth hormone
- Pectoralis Major
- Triceps Brachii
- Anterior Deltoids
- Rectus Abdominus
- Erector Spinae
How to Do a Superman Push-Up
- As an optionally advanced starting technique, fall forward on foot into a push-up position. Keep your body straight and core tight as your hands come in contact with the floor.
- Otherwise, get yourself in the top position of a push-up, with your back and neck in a straight line, arms extended, and core tight. This is the ideal starting position.
- Lower down into the bottom position of a push-up with your arms flexed to 90-degrees, core tight and back still kept straight.
- Push as high as possible with your hands and feet, which propelled you into the air. At this position, both your hands and feet should lose contact with the floor. Extend your arms forward in the air so that your body is in a straight line and gives the appearance of flying Superman.
- Land back into a starting push-up position, this is one repetition. Let your momentum to bring you to the bottom position of a push-up and immediately transition into a second repetition.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.