The name implies this exercise can be very dangerous and given a heavy enough weight this is probably true. However, don’t let the name put you off trying this great and very effective exercise. Skull Crusher work your triceps and can be performed with various resistance, such as dumbbells, barbells, resistance bands etc.
How to Do a Skull Crusher Exercise
- Pick up the barbell using a narrow grip, slightly less than shoulder-width apart, lay on the bench or step, bend your legs 90 degrees, have your feet flat on the floor
- Hold the barbell above your chest
- Angle your upper arms towards your ears so the barbell is on a tilt, whilst bending at the elbows, this will bring it down past the top of your head.
- Keep your elbows pointing upwards, towards the ceiling. Make sure they are in tight, don’t let them flare out to the sides.
- When your arms bend to roughly 90 degrees, slowly push the barbell back up to the starting position
Skull Crushes are an isolation exercise, where you would use a lighter weight to target your triceps. Isolation exercises are normally performed after compound exercises, so your larger muscles are already be fatigued.