This exercise requires a high level of strength and conditioning of an athlete. One will still be doing a clap push-up with the versions of Muay Thai except the clap is now going to performed behind his back. One should be assured to perform the Push-Up explosively. Remember one has to develop enough lift from the push-up to do a clap behind his back and return his hands to the front of him to catch the body for landing. If he does not get his hands back in time, there is a fair chance he is going to be executing a face plant. So for starting this exercise, it is best to begin it on mats to help soften the blow.
Benefits of Muay Thai Push Ups
- This exercise focuses on training the fast twitch muscle fibers because these fibers are responsible for creating power and strength and increasing the size of your body,
- Muay Thai push-up is an excellent way to help an individual to condition his body.
- Many boxers and martial artists use this exercise to increase the punching power and speed. The aim for these athletes is to take the explosive power they gain and utilize it for their punching power.
How to Do a Muay Thai Push-Up
- Move down to the ground in a push-up posture. Have your arms stretched with your palms on the floor, shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body to the floor. As you lower your body, you require breathing in. Breathe out as you explosively push up yourself out of the push-up. You have to create enough force for your hands to lift off from the floor.
- Now you are in the air, its time take your hands behind your body and do clap. You have to do the clap before you start dropping to the ground.
- Return your arms towards the front of your body with your hands at shoulder width. Now, place the palms down back onto the ground and position yourself for the next push-up.