The manual hamstring curl is an isolation movement workout when one wants to target the muscle alone. The manual hamstring curl is a crucial element for any trainee who is looking to develop the legs or hamstrings in general.
Manual Hamstring curls, also known as manual leg curls, is among the few gym exercises which target an individual’ hamstrings explicitly. However, if someone is thinking that he is working out just one muscle group, then he is wrong (actually hamstrings are a group of three large thigh muscles). Depending on the technique, one can also involve the calf and lower back muscles by practicing appropriate form.
Note: In this workout, muscles work together in pairs. If one of them is weak, then this will adversely affect the other one. This imbalance can lead towards threatening injuries like muscle strains and ligament tears.
Benefits of Manual Hamstring Curl
- This exercise targets the hamstrings and makes them strong that are fundamental to aesthetics, functionality, and performance.
- Manual Hamstring curl is beneficial for Athletic Performance. Because hamstrings play a pivotal role in hip extension and knee flexion, they are pretty much vital for the running motion. Hip extension and Knee Flexion are also essential in movements like skipping, jumping, kicking and more.
- This exercise provides postural benefits. The hamstrings stabilize hip joints, therefore, keep the spine strongly aligned within the body.
- As exercise requires muscles often worked in pairs (for instance, hamstrings with calves, hamstrings and quads, hamstrings, with glutes), so it is quite helpful in maintaining the body balance. If they do well together, then they act engagingly.
- Biceps femoris
- Lower back
How to Do a Manual Hamstring Curl?
- One will require a partner to perform this exercise. First, Lay face down with the legs straight. The assistant will place the performer’s hand on his/her heel.
- To start, flex the knee to curl leg upward. The partner should provide resistance that should be light at the start and then increase the pressure as the movement accomplishes. Now, communicate with your partner to check proper resistance levels.
- Break at the top and return the legs towards the initial position as your partner offers resistance going the other direction as well.
- This is one complete rep. Repeat for the recommended amount of times.