The Dragon Flag is the most impressive abs exercise with many benefits, including teaching the skill of tension needed in many other exercises. It was named after Bruce Lee. He was often called “the Dragon” and made this move where his body hung straight as a flag. It also gains popularity when Sylvester Stallone performed it in a famous movie series “Rocky.”
Dragon flag also known as Bruce Lee’s Ab Move is one of the most impressive abs exercises you can do. It is an advanced movement that requires strength, endurance, and proper technique. Doing this exercise wrong may result in the injury of neck and back muscles.
Similar Exercises to Try
Benefits of Dragon Flag
- It is one of the hardest ab strengthening exercises and helps build your abs quickly.
- Dragon flag is a strenuous exercise that will build necessary strength and endurance in the hollow body position to be able to perform the advanced calisthenics/gymnastic moves like front levers.
- This exercise on its own can build amazingly strong and defined abs as well as great overall core strength
- It is an effective exercise to reduce belly fat and increase metabolism.
- It ensures the general body strength, maximum flexibility, and good muscular coordination.
- Abdominal External Oblique
- Biceps Brachii
- Pectoralis Major
- Rectus Abdominis
- Latissimus Dorsi
- Triceps Brachii
How to do a Dragon Flag
- Lay back on a weight bench or alternatively in front of a door frame, a bed overhang or a barbell with weights, the tool must support your body weight and must be able to adhere with both hands.
- Using your shoulders, raise your body off the ground, guide it to the ceiling until it is almost vertical to the floor. Keep your body in a straight line from shoulders to the feet
- Next, slowly lower your body down. Nothing should touch the bench other than the upper back. Bend your knees if you have to, but don’t bend at the hip.
- If you are a beginner, we highly recommended you to go for 2-3 reps only to prevent neck and back injury.