The Bird Dog is a core exercise that mainly targets your lower back, it requires a level of balance as you’re only in contact with the floor using one hand and a shin.
The Bird Dog can feel a little uncomfortable at first, however, it is quite effective and in my opinion more challenging than other core exercises. This is also a good exercise for improving your posture, as working the lower back can correct muscle imbalances.
Similar Exercises to Try
How to Do a Bird Dog Exercise
- Start on the floor, balancing on your hands and shins, keep your back straight. Arms fully extended, hands positioned under your shoulders, and knees under your hips.
- Lift one shin off the floor whilst extending your leg behind you and pointing your toe. Hold your leg out straight, parallel with your back, then lift the opposite hand, stretching out your arm
- Try not to rotate your hips, keeping them fixed puts more tension on the core
- Simultaneously bring your leg and arm inwards, towards your abs. Try to touch your knee with your elbow
- Slowly stretch out your arm and leg, back parallel to the rest of your body
- After you have completed the desired amount of repetitions, switch sides and perform the same amount of repetitions, to prevent muscle imbalances