The bicep curl is the most popular isolation exercise for the bicep, you can perform the bicep curl with a lot of equipment, resistance bands, dumbbells or a barbell. There’s also a lot of gym machines that you’ll be able to use that target this particular muscle group.
This exercise is great if you want to achieve proportionately bigger biceps, however, bear in mind that the most healthy way of exercising is to keep your body in balance. So when performing the bicep curl make sure you spend the same amount of time (or greater) exercising your triceps.
Similar Exercises to Try
- Biceps Brachii
How to do a Bicep Curl
- Grip the barbell with an underhand grip, your hands shoulder width apart
- Keep your posture straight and upright, with your arms fully extended, the barbell is near your pelvis (support the weight so the barbell isn’t actually touching)
- As you slowly move the barbell upwards towards your chest, make sure your elbows are tucked in by your side.
- At the top (with you bicep fully flexed) slowly lower the bar back down, until your arms are once again fully extended
- This would be one repetition