The barbell hip thrust exercise targets the glutes and helps strengthen the lower body. For an easier variation use only bodyweight or try glute bridges. To make this exercise more challenging, simply add more weight.
How to Do a Barbell Hip Thrust Exercise
- Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you, have a barbell laid across your hips and a step, box or bench behind you.
- Lean backwards, bring your knees in, keeping them shoulder width apart and inline with your toes. Both your knees and toes pointed slightly outwards
- The step is supporting your back, just below the shoulder blades.
- Thrust your hips upwards, bringing the barbell up with you.
- Pause when your knees are 90 degrees and your back is parallel to your thighs, be careful not to overextend your spine. Look down the body towards the barbell or keep your head in a neutral position.
- When you feel the contraction in your glutes, slowly lower your hips back down